Tuesday, March 01, 2005

There once was a poet from Grimsby...

Well clearly it wasn't me, I wasn't born here and I can think of nothing to rhyme my second and fifth lines with.

But, on the subject of limericks (crowbarred that in nicely) I've noticed tonight that Limerick Savant's blog has been quiet for the last couple of weeks, which is a shame as I often look in for a chuckle.

I did take the opportunity to follow one of his referrers links though which came from Wikipedia and along with the expected potted history, there were some great examples of this fine poetic form ranging from :

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical

to the very silly:

There once was a lady from Bude
Who went for a swim in the lake
A man in a punt
Stuck an oar in her ear
And said "You can't swim here it's private"

and even sillier:

There was a young bard from Japan
Whose limericks never would scan
When asked why this was
He said "It's because
I always try and get as many words in the last line as I possibly can"

You can guess what's coming next.
OK, if you can do better, lets see something in the comments box!

So there once was a blogger called Seany
And despite how his friends would all warn, he
Could barely succeed
To get people to read
Cos' his humour's so terribly corny...

No comments: