Wednesday, March 16, 2005

What's in a name...

I know it sounds petty but it always irritates me whenever I need to give my name (e.g. checking into a hotel, or confirming information over the phone) and I have to spell out my first name out to people and clarify that my surname is without an "e".

Worse still when people just guess. If someone's writing trying sell me something, they should do themselves a favour and not piss me off before I open the envelope. Or, if someone knows me well enough to send a Christmas or birthday card, you'd think they would know how to spell my name. I have obviously made more of a point of it at times than I had realised as in recent years, I have become known in our local as "No E".

It could have been much worse, for example look at some of the poor people listed here. What are some parents thinking of when they are chosing names?

In defense of my folks, I was named after my Dad's brother John and rather than directly copying his name, they chose the Irish spelling. Which very tenuously provides me with just the excuse I need every March the 17th to celebrate Paddy's Day.

I suspect that tomorrow will be no exception although during the day I will have little opportunity to pay tribute beyond listening to Terry Wogan on the way to work. On returning home it will straight into the Tap for a few pints of the black stuff (and possibly a couple of smaller beverages of the Irish variety, which strangely enough do have an additional "e"). Should my eyesight still be functioning when I return home, I will no doubt perch in front of the PC and catch up with the latest on the Twenty Major and Emerald Bile blogs.

Not the wildest of tributes perhaps but I like to make a contribution. So,



Happy St Patrick's Day!

as I probably won't be in a fit state to post tomorrow...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget when you traveled to sunny St. Louis and you were Miss Sean Clarke???

Seany said...

Hi Steph!
I had forgotten that actually - I think that was the trip to Chicago wasnt it? I'm not sure whether I'm pleased or not that nobody queried it!

Anonymous said...

You didn’t have your goatee then – it was during your androgynous phase. You’re right, it was Chicago – where we saw Dickie Davis working as a ticket agent.

Seany said...

Androgynous - that would explain why people still tell me to go and do something unpleasant to myself!