Sunday, March 27, 2005

Another ambition realised...

Nothing to do with alcohol this time, (although by 1 o'clock this morning, I had occupied 24 of the previous 36 hours in the consumption of some intoxicating beverage or other, but perhaps that's more to be pitied than admired)

Little Sis decided a short time ago that she was going to give up her current job and fulfil a lifetime ambition by training to be a teacher. With her interview only a matter of weeks away, her PC has decided to play silly buggers (as they are want to do when you need them most) and unfortunately, the most convenient access to the internet she can get at present is through the TV. Apparently the service is very basic, and although I'm not sure whether I should name the company in question, you could probably guess it by their iNiTiaLs.

Just as an aside, doesn't it really annoy you when people type like that all of the time? No, just me again? OK.

Anyway, there is about a 6-8 week waiting list for the keyboards compatible with their set-top box, by which time, she's hoping her PC will be back from Santa's workshop, so she's struggling on using their on-screen keyboard. If you've never had the pleasure, this basically involves navigating your way around the on-screen keyboard using the arrow keys on the remote control, entering one character at a time and having to toggle between different screens to achieve shift, control, numeric keys, etc. Hardly economical on time. To add to the fun, apparently they don't have an address bar detailing the page you're reading, neither do they have an effective back button. Other than that, you'd never know the difference.

Now I know that this isn't really what Blogger was designed for, but I thought, why not create one web page with links to all of her most frequently accessed sites to save a load of time? At least it's a more genuine use than those really annoying ones that repeat the same paragraph time and time again, explaining how "If you're looking for life insurance/investment opportunities/Mercedes lease agreements/prom dresses/bestiality for beginners accessories, then you've come to the right site". Now they really irritate me. I eagerly await the day when Blogger finds a way of tracking these sites down and deleting them, clearing heap loads of cyberspace for those of us that use it a bit more responsibly. Back to the case in point, I threw this page together and although it took me several minutes, hopefully it will save her several hours.

Little Sis is obviously delighted with the results as I found this waiting for me when I eventually surfaced this morning. Quite a surprise seeing as she lives over 250 miles away. Of course I was genuinely touched by the gesture, but also in my naive little world this is tantamount to payment in return, which means that after a career spanning several months, I'm now a professional website designer. How cool is that...

No comments: