Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Just out for a couple...

Anybody who knows me outside of the blogosphere knows that the above words emitted from my mouth are tantmount to absolute tosh.

Case in point: having returned from a really enjoyable weekend doing the Mothers Day thing and catching up with the family, we returned on Sunday night to find our local somewhat quieter than usual. Amazingly, I opted for the early night rather than the stay out until 5 minutes before closing on the off-chance that someone who I may have spoken to briefly once would enter the premises and in so doing, justify my existence there.

Monday, I chose to relax for the day until about 3:00pm when I thought I would just pop out to the pub to see who was in. Honestly, it was a genuine intention to drop in, have a couple of pints, catch up with the weekend's events and then clear off early in accordance with the schoolnight rule having to get to work the next morning.

But, there's always something isn't there. In this particular case, Dave and Dom were set to hit the town on a long overdue swilling session to celebrate Dave and Rose's forthcoming wedding. Honestly, it wasn't a stag night, but I was told that I had to go, refusal was not an option and it was going to be a session to end all sessions. Once again, anybody who knows me will acknowledge that I am famous for staying rooted to the bar of my local and never straying elsewhere, but what the hell, this was a special occasion and I wasn't about to let it pass. I will spare the blow by blow details, but for anyone familiar with the area, the itinerary went roughly as follows:

Tap & Spile (2)
The Litten Tree
The Melt Bar
Huxters
[Taxi into Cleethorpes]
The No. 1
The No. 2
(N.B. the above two refer to drinking establishments rather than bodily functions)
Seaway Chippy for large cod, chips & peas
The Notts
The Queens (from which point we opted for large spirits rather than pints)
The Fish
The Smugglers
Willy's
Kings Royal (3)
[Taxi back to Grimsby]
Lloyds No. 1, The Ice Barque

...after which point the beer fairies collected us all at ten minute intervals and deposited us in our respective homes with none of us any the wiser as to how we got there.

Miraculously, I still made it to work the following morning, but perhaps it offers somewhat of an excuse for my lack of postings over the last couple of days.

If that wasn't the stag night, I sure hope it wasn't a warm up...

No comments: