Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Raising the steaks...

After another fun-packed 12 hour day playing at earning a living, I arrived home this evening uninspired to create anything too adventurous in the kitchen and too mean to pay out for fast food. I also discovered to my delight that it is almost a month since my last grocery shop and the easiest thing to rustle up for supper was steak, egg & chips.

If it makes it sound any healthier, I did the steak on the trusty George Foreman lean mean grilling machine, the chips were of the "Healthy Living Low Fat Oven" variety and if I'm really clutching at straws, the eggs were only fried in a little oil. Who cares anyway, the important thing was that I had amassed a good plate full in next to no time. Enough time to get me thinking though. Uh-oh...

I like to eat my steak somewhere between medium rare and rare and I've just about got the knack of how much defrosting & grilling is required to get it just how I like it. After the first check this evening, I decided it was a little too rare, or rather "not quite well enough done", or perhaps rather than "more well done", it should be "done better".

Oh dear. A few spare minutes and a drained mind are not a good combination. It didn't stop there either. Where the does the term "rare" come from anyway? Surely, the less you cook an 8oz steak, the less it shrinks, or rather, the more of it remains which means if there is more of it, then it is less rare than a well done steak would be.

That's the problem with weekdays - I don't get the opportunity to fill my mind with important issues such as "who's round is it?" or "is that a new brewery?" or "I wonder what that one tastes like"...

3 comments:

delcatto said...

Sounds like just the ideal meal after a hard days work.Try some tuna steaks for an even healthier meal...with added mercury!
I have to admit I like my steaks medium rare,juicy enough to get your teeth into with a nice glass of vino or two.

delcatto said...

...or three or four...

Cherrypie said...

I like my steak almost mooing. You've got me salivating now. A cheese sandwich won't quite hit the spot. Maybe I'll just go straight for pudding. Tonight's it Chardonnay. Just the one....... bottle