Sunday, May 14, 2006

Plug N Not Playing...

Amongst the goodies I got yesterday, I also decided to treat myself to a hard disk caddy which like many things, seemed a really good idea in principle. I just needed to plug in one of the hard disks from the PC that's currently enjoying retirement (ok, it's still waiting for a new motherboard), connect a USB lead from the caddy to my laptop and hey presto, my storage space has suddenly increased by 200GB and I have access to the files I once feared I might have lost forever.

With the ensuing fun of CD playing and study clearance, I didn't get the chance to try it out yesterday, but with no space left in the bins, I took my chance this afternoon. First roadblock - the unit was missing from the box! The cables and accompanying CDs were all present but no sign of the actual unit itself which didn't bode well for progress. A quick trip back to the store and on sight of my receipt (and somewhat embarrassed expression), they were happy to exchange the ex-display box for a complete one.

Brief interlude to eat a roast dinner then back to the magic box and time to find out exactly what was left behind on the old disks - there is a potential of 480gb of space in total and I have genuinely forgotten what I left on there. After over an hour of connecting, disconnecting and re-connecting, restarting and rebooting I'm afraid to say I'm still no better off so it looks like another trip back to the store after work tomorrow.

I'm certain I've checked and tried everything I should have done, but after my first return visit, I've a terrible feeling it will turn out to be something really straight forward again...

2 comments:

Cherrypie said...

Did you try turning it off and on again? That seems to be the cure-all if our IT technicians are to be believed

Seany said...

Tried that & stopped just short of the "throw out of the window" solution when I realised it may severely reduce the possibility of getting a refund or replacement.

I suppose I could tell them that if I don't exchange it I will die and it will all be their fault...