Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Many hands make light work...

Well two hands to be more exact.

When I first moved into the bungalow, it was nice to see it had been suitably equipped with several security and courtesy external lights, but the only one I have never really got to grips with was the courtesy light above the garage door which despite my numerous twiddlings, came on at dusk and stayed on, I presume, until it got bored with the view. Another job consigned to the "I must get round to sorting that out properly sometime" list.

Tonight however, the garage door flew open in a somewhat more livelier manner than expected, somehow managing to smash the lights mounting plate in the process. As if by magic, "sometime" suddenly became "now" and judging by the thick black clouds hovering overhead, sooner than "now" would be preferable.

Fortunately, I had a PIR halogen light which I'd bought for the last house and which had never made it off the "sometime" list so it was a relatively easy swap. This was of course followed by the ritual back, forth & sidestep dance in the drive which is apparently necessary to check I'd got the sensitivity right. It seems the slightest tweak changes the sensitivity setting from "yeti leaping right in front of it" to "ant farts three miles away" but it is now installed and hopefully not illuminating too much of the remainder of the neighbourhood.

Aside from a more practical security light than it's predecessor, it should save me on electricity too as it will be on for considerably less time. Next job is to find a new gadget to spend my potential savings on...

2 comments:

delcatto said...

New lighthouse spotted near grimsby...warns of the following hazards:
elderly cyclists, gassy lager, mothers with three wheeled buggies,large rockers ahead,fug...like fog but in the snug after last orders.

Seany said...

I've read how bright lights have a habit of attracting things and was more than a little wary of creating a beacon for the seasonal comfort* people


* comfort day, stay for t' week