Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A few ideas...

In the good old days, well more accurately while I was away enjoying my break from work, somebody in their infinite wisdom has decided it would be a good idea to carry out extensive road works on the M180 which means at typical "rush hour" times, Scunthorpe is pretty much closed to moving traffic and apparently this is set to continue for the next two months. Now there are those who would say that closing Scunthorpe could be seen as quite an attractive idea, but seeing I'm paid to travel there five days a week, I feel obliged to disagree.

As part of the roadworks, they closed the exit slip road onto the M181 which is my preferred route as it goes around Scunthorpe rather than through it. Although there is always a slight possibility that this closure could actually have been necessary, I thought it may have been a good idea to notify motorists of this closure a little further in advance than one mile; maybe before the previous junction to avoid a ten mile detour. Apparently the Highways Agency decided my idea was not such a good one.

This evening I thought that whilst still coming down from the Dublin experience and still in touch with my Gaelic side, it would be appropriate idea to salute Scotland's favourite son in some way or other and I ended up on this site in my quest to find out whether we had a family tartan. Apparently we have at least these four, although there are plenty more out there so I'm really none the wiser:



Perhaps it's best if I just stick to what I'm good at, so I raise a glass of the finest single malt I have to hand with the following toast:

Slainte maith, h-uile latha, na chi 'snach fhaic!
(Good health, every day, whether I see you or not)

Now there's a bloody good idea...

No comments: