Saturday, February 12, 2005

London calling...

If I say so myself, I have been lacking inspiration for blog-fodder over the last week or so and was looking forward to my trip to our glorious capital this week which was bound to provide lots of ideas.

Firstly, there must be loads to say about travelling to London using public transport. Unbelievably, all of my trains left and arrived on time - credit where it's due to Trans-Pennine and GNER. I had the luxury of a double seat to myself for both journeys. On arrival at Kings Cross, I found a great taxi driver who whisked me across London through the rush hour traffic in no time at all. I had an equally successful trip the following evening on the underground with the tube trains arriving just as I had got to the appropriate platforms allowing me to navigate my way back across London with incredible ease.

So what about the hotel? Well I've made the mistake before of trying to book cheap London hotels over the internet and finding "surprises" when you actually arrive. This time I played it safe and booked a room in a Travel Inn - they're pretty consistent wherever you are. This proved to be no exception and was excellent - very comfortable room and the on-site bar/restaurant served an excellent quality meal at a very reasonable price. Situated right behind the London Eye, I was initially disappointed that the attraction had closed that day for maintenance, but in hindsight, did I really want to spend £13.00 to see an aerial view of London at night?

That leaves the course itself - my excuse for the "jolly" in the first place. Very interesting, very well presented and the attendees were a real friendly crowd. Another excellent lunch thrown in aswell.

So, there we have it. Nothing to complain about, no amusing anecdotes and nothing to write up in my blog. Or perhaps there was...

No comments: