Saturday, January 08, 2005

There must be a catch...

I've just completed my first non-smoking week - well, not technically my first as I didn't start until I was about 19 and I have given up a few times before. However, this time around a smoke free week has gone by and I'm a bit disturbed at how easy it's been.

I don't remember it being this easy in the past, no cravings, no changes in eating pattern, I just put one out last Friday night and haven't bothered about them since. All without the aid of patches, nicotine gum or lozenges.

Incidentally, I did call in to our local supermarket last weekend to pick up one of the afore-mentioned "in case of emergency" and was disgusted at how expensive they are. You would think with all of the pressure in the media at the moment encouraging us all to quit, they would make these things a lot more affordable. I'm sorry - I'm not paying £20 to keep feeding my nicotine habit while I'm trying to shake it off, I'll do it the hard way.

So far, so good. I've enjoyed a couple of lengthy sessions in the pub this week too and haven't even been tempted. We have a joint birthday celebration planned for today (probably most of today) so I'll put myself to the test once again.

Only 129 weeks to go to beat my previous record. I thought that was a bit more motivational than 900 days. Let's not lose sight of the fact that it's still very early days yet...

2 comments:

Sanns said...

Congrats! I'm on day 4 and it's not so bad.... yet.

Happy Birthday! Keep up the non-smoking :-)

Seany said...

Thanks - now into day 11 and still going strong

Hang in there, there's probably millions of us trying somewhere or other!