Saturday, January 01, 2005

Another year, another attempt...

First of all, Happy New Year!

Well, as predicted in an earlier post, I've decided to have another go at giving up the "evil weed". I have been saying repeatedly throughout 2004 that I will have stopped by the end of the year and sure enough, I put my last one out with at least three hours to spare.

Not that this is my first attempt, as I've always said, "it's easy giving up smoking, I've done it hundreds of times". My record stoppage to date is about 2.5 years with a few lesser attempts of anywhere between 6 and 12 months, so I'm not overly excited at having cleared a smoke-free 24 hours. Alcohol hasn't been in the equation yet either and from memory, that's always been a contributing factor to previous failures.

Still, as the old Chinese proverb* goes, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

Apparently we're in for some heavy groundfrost over the next week or so...



*I couldn't find the original source. A quick search on Google attributed it to at least 3 different Chinese philosophers, Mahatma Gandhi and "English fokelore" - perhaps they all said it?

In fact I might get a name-check myself after this posting...

No comments: