Saturday, June 30, 2007

Up in smoke...



I imagine by now that nearly everyone in England is perfectly aware that the smoking ban comes into force at midnight tonight, after which it becomes illegal to smoke in almost any enclosed public place.

The phrase "smoke free England" strikes me as a little ambitious, although given the weather of late, it don't see many people hanging around outside doorways trying to get their fix in the slinging rain & floods.

Typically, the new rules are overly complicated as demonstrated by the quiz on the BBC Breakfast website. I managed a modest 9 out of 15 and can only assume I got so many wrong as I relied on common sense when selecting my answers. Should have known better really.

I have joked for several weeks now that I might just start smoking again on July 1st as a protest against the infringement on my rights, but to tell the truth, even though I resent having put weight on, I don't miss cigarettes one little bit and I'm not even remotely attracted to the idea.

Even if it has only been 910 days, 16 hours, 5 minutes and 25 seconds since my last one...

2 comments:

delcatto said...

I got ten right but I'm sure there was something about MP's being exempt at the House of Conmen...oops! Commons.

Karate Jim said...

As you know, Larry & I are very strongly against smoking in public and feel even stronger about it since having children. I actually don't think it is an infringement on smokers' rights, I think it is looking after the rights of non-smokers to go for a meal with their family without having to inhale someone elses s**t! Smokers still have the right to kill themselves in the privacy of their own homes. :o