Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Call holding...



At last I appear to have my phone back.

No, this isn't another sorry tale of a mobile phone being dropped somewhere it doesn't work very well, I'm referring to the fact that I've got my land line back. Not that I've lost any service during the recent weather; probably more accurate to say the numerous daily telesales calls have just about stopped at last.

How? Well a little while ago, Little Sis put me onto the Telephone Preference Service who in return for taking a few minutes to register with them, prohibits companies from calling you trying to sell something without your consent. It can take up to 28 days before it takes full effect, but if recent results are anything to go by, it's time well spent.

I hadn't anticipated a letter that arrived through the door this week though:

Dear Seany

We tried to contact you by phone recently but are no longer able to do so as you have registered with the TPS. Over 90% of our customers who registered for the service hadn't realised that we would no longer be able to call you to inform you of our latest promotional offers. Please return the attached consent form, blah,blah, blah.

Really? Over 90% of these people didn't realise that TPS would do exactly what we hoped they would do? I think we know where their consent form is headed and I'll consider contacting them when I think I may be interested in any services they have to offer.

Assuming I'm not overrun with junk mail from them that is...

No comments: