Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Golden Balls...

The Golden Globe award winners have been all over the news today amidst cries of "Britain swept the board" and countless double entendres on the subject of Helen Mirren's pair.

The latter cheap shots are fairly predictable I guess and I am pleased that the Brits did well, even if one of them is that insufferable twat that I spent years having the misfortune of being mistaken for. "Aye" my arse. If I hadn't have had a head shave for charity, persistant accusations that I resembled that tosser would have driven it to me anyway.

Back to my main point; Helen Mirren, Jeremy Irons, Billy Nighy are all very talented and well deserving performers, but there was one Brit consistantly missing from the list. What about Hugh Laurie? I realise he only won a Best Actor award (for the second year running incidentally) but he barely gets a mention anywhere. I even struggled to eventually find his mention on IMDb two-thirds of the way down one of their reports.

Not that it needs my support, but if you haven't seen it already, please watch House M.D. when it returns to our screens soon (already running season 3 in the U.S.) It is so far-removed from any other medical drama I've ever seen (in that I continued to watch it) and the incisive writing combined with heartfelt performances from each of the excellent cast provide first class entertainment.

For anyone who may be put off by his wacky antics in Jeeves & Wooster, Fry & Laurie or Blackadder, you are in for a real surprise...

1 comment:

Gorilla Bananas said...

May the spirit of the Great Hairy Father bless all entertainers. To expose yourself to the derision of the human mob takes courage as well as talent.