Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Could have been worse...

OK so the first day back was never going to be a barrel of laughs but it didn't go too badly. I got to the office early; there were only 70-odd emails waiting for me; they let me stay behind for an extra hour or so for free, but best of all they gave me four cans of beer to take home.

It is still quite common for suppliers to shower us with bribes gifts around this time of year, but seeing as only certain employees are in a position to get such privileges, it was decided years ago that it is fairer to pool them all together and draw lots from a hat containing all employee names.

It's no Hobgoblin I grant you, but I'm sure I've drunk worse beer in my time and most importantly it was free. What puzzles me, is I can't help but wonder which devil-may-care supplier decided they could woo our purchasing team and win a multi-million pound pan-European contract in return for four of these:



Anyway, to round the day off nicely, I discovered this evening that despite my plans to lose weight, it turns out I have only actually put on 1kg since this time last year. Result there then - looks like pizza for tea...

5 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

I really need to go on a diet and then I go and see something like a Pizza - sigh

happy new year

Seany said...

Well I've resolved to stop ringing out for them - but then what's the point when you can get 2 perfectly good ones from Tesco for £4?!

woja said...

Personally, I've sworn off drinking for the whole of 2007. Except for the days ending in "y".

Cherrypie said...

I was going to be good tonight. I didn't go to the off-licence. I ate a salad sandwich for lunch and thought I'd come home, have a bath and an early night. Now I've realised I have a duty to the local community. All those poor little Turkish enterprises having to close because of perfectly healthy earl- 40-something blokes either shunning them in a futile attempt to retard the ageing process or selling out to the international giants like Tesco.

It's not for me. I do it for the small businessman. I'm just gonna have to call out for pizza now!

Seany said...

I'm doing my best to keep the small breweries ticking over - a guy can only spread himself so thinly...