Tuesday, December 05, 2006

In search of perfection...

At last I finally remembered to tune into BBC2 at 8:30 on a Tuesday night to marvel at Heston Blumenthal and his unique experimental culinary style. I'd heard plenty about the guy and his revolutionary menu at the Fat Duck, but to hear his down to earth approach, I would never have guessed who he was.

Tonight we were promised a roast chicken dinner and I sat, rivetted to the screen wondering at which point he would load it into a tumble drier with a few shovels of dry straw and a handful of lit fireworks.

In fact, on the surface he didn't appear to do anything overly extraordinary beyond taking rather longer than usual, swapping the chicken to and fro from boiling to iced water then roasting it at a lower temperature.

All of that said, he explained the logic behind everything he did with crystal clarity and a real passion for what he was doing and the end result looked a million times more impressive than anything that will ever leave my kitchen. Count me in as a fan there then.

So next week, I'll have the recorder set just in case I'm not home and I'll bet it's the last one in the series...

4 comments:

Cherrypie said...

I've got the dvd from the Sunday Times if you'd like a copy. His recipes always look great but who could really be arsed with all that fiddling? Jamie Oliver is so much easier to follow for maximum impact with minimum effort.

Seany said...

It was fun to watch but there's no way I'll ever have time to mess about like that in real life - my weekday challenge is to get some kind of healthy(ish) meal down before I fall asleep...

Cherrypie said...

I usually opt for a cheese sandwich. I love cooking but don't see the point of doing something just for myself. I might have even add some Branston tonight. What a treat!

The Quacks of Life said...

Eh Seany we'll have to give Ms Pie an excuse to cook one day ;) Personally CP I much prefer being waited on don't you?

My father said who in his right mind would faff about like that.