Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Every day in every way...

...I'm getting a little bit more prepared for Christmas.

Before I go on, a quick flashback to last night's post regarding my neglected green wheelie bin, I got a result today. Apparently I managed to sort and de-sellotape my cardboard to a standard worthy of brown wheelie bin collection. So perhaps I packed the rubbish a bit too tight into the green one in a moment of unprecedented enthusiasm which would have been too tough for the poor little mites to empty. I guess I'll find out next week.

Anyway, tonight's source of amusement occurred whilst in Tesco making major headway with the Christmas food shop. I thought that I had gone a bit OTT on my last trip (as you always do when setting up a new home) but I was amazed how my shopping list of twenty or so items expanded to fill a shopping trolley. I think the inclusion of the word "turkey" was where I went wrong because I then went on a campaign of "well if I'm buying the turkey, I might as well buy the [insert name of anything else remotely festive and Christmas dinner related]".

On arriving at the checkout, the girl asked if I needed any help packing my bags as I'd collected so much and after an initial refusal, I agreed that it might get me away a bit quicker. I've mentioned before that I am a creature of routine who likes to be organised where possible and for that reason, when packing the shopping at a checkout I like to have a selection of bags ready to keep things in some kind of sensible order for unpacking, i.e. separate bags for non-food, cleaning products, frozen food, fresh food, etc. To my amazement, this individual "helping" me pack was more interested in telling her mate about her plans for the weekend and proceeded to pack random items into bags, frequently containing little more than three things. My favourite was an entire carrier bag for a whisk and a tea strainer (hey, what I do in my own time is my business right?!). In the end, I packed the majority of it myself.

In future I think I will make it my quest to see how much shopping it takes before I'm unable to keep up with the checkout girl on my own. Of course, based on my purchases over the last couple of weeks, my next food shop will probably be sometime in July...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have joined in her conversation Seany...' Yeah, I told him if you expect me to put that thing in my mouth I'll want jewellry for xmas...mmm, yeah,men.. they're all the same, with their whisks , strainers...Have you paid for that KY jelly Sir?'

Seany said...

I've never stolen KY jelly... I mean I've always paid for... no ,I mean, anyway, does it really matter? both implements were still shiny... oh dear...