Monday, June 26, 2006

Bring it on...

The world cup tournament continues and try as I might, I can't turn my back on it. Between that and the continuing exploits in the Big Brother house, it's a wonder I get to see daylight at all.

You have probably gathered by my occasional business trips to Porto that there is a significant Portuguese influence in the company I work for and although I missed last night's match, I discovered this morning that Portugal beat Holland and will now face us in the quarter finals on Saturday. Which isn't a "school night". And it is the day after pay day. Oh dear, I can already see a picture of this weekend's events unfolding before me.

My mate Steve is helping me to move some shelving on Saturday morning and the least I can do is take him out for a beer or two afterwards to say thank you. By the time we've had a couple of pints, we'll probably need something to eat and before you know it, the big screen's down, the red and white attired locals are assembled and it would be just rude to leave too early.

I never thought I'd hear myself say this but it's not just about football anymore...

2 comments:

Cherrypie said...

I watched a match in one of those big bars in Cleethorpes last time round. It was gruesome. Made worse by the fact that your lab manager was with me, although I doubt he'd remember what with the football and the huge quantities of ale.

Please remember to wear a hard hat, and maybe knee and elbow pads. It can get tough in there.

delcatto said...

I'll wear me blue shirt although it's got some England badges and whatnot on it.Oh, and I'll help you to shift some of that ale as well. I'm good like that :>)