Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Well that was fun...

Got back from Porto late last night after a very interesting trip.

Flights were pretty much as scheduled, the taxi got us to our hotel in good time and boy, what a hotel. Apparently due to regular bookings, our company has negotiated special rates with the Porto Palacio Hotel, a five star residence which is by far the poshest place I've ever stayed. They need a few lessons in which beers they should be selling (although I'm ashamed to admit that the Super Bock wasn't exactly unpleasant) but beyond that the accommodation was absolutely superb. Let me put it this way, it was good enough to be entertaining the Portuguese national football team who arrived for a three night stay while we were there. OK, they booked an entire floor but I was more than happy with my room. All this luxury for around £65 per night!

We were on a pretty tight schedule so we made the most of the evening there and went to the superb Don Tonho restaurant on the Douro riverside in the shadow of the magnificent Ponte D. Luis I bridge (notice the Eiffel influence?). The food there was probably amongst the best I have ever tasted and what an excellent choice. A huge variety of starters to pick from including squid which I had always promised myself I would try. I opted for veal for the main course (another first for me). I know it's wrong and I shouldn't have, but I've always been curious and wanted to try it whilst in the company of people who wouldn't give me a hard time over it - sorry, but it was every bit as tasty as I had hoped for. For dessert I chose the creme brulee, another one that I'd heard plenty about but never tasted and we finished off with a 10 year old Tawny Port (what else) and espresso coffee. First class food throughout, first class service, first class portions (plenty) and it cost less than £150 for the four of us including aperitifs and two bottles of local wine.

Oh and the all important presentation the following morning - did I sell my soul? Not entirely, but Mr Johnson* could you pass me that guitar please...


*should anyone at work be reading this, I'm referring to the legendary Robert, not our Site Manager...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like ya had a blast :)

Wot no Guinness !

Anonymous said...

Sounds like ya had a blast :)

Wot no Guinness !

Anonymous said...

Port out, starboard home...or rather, Port in glug,glug.
Dec