Saturday, December 01, 2007

Power to the people...

I've just been woken up by the sound of my garage alarm going off.

Despite the initial leaping out of bed with prerequisite WTF instincts, it turns out that it was only because we have a power cut so with rechargeable lantern in hand, I've just been out and reset it again to avoid disturbing the neighbours any further. On the way back into the house I suddenly met with the harsh realisation of how many things were now unavailable to me.

~ I have only one little battery clock in the bathroom, but no other clocks visible to me in the early hours of morning.
~ The telephone isn't working, although if I wave the lamp around I know my mobile will probably be in its usual place on the mantelpiece.
~ Making a hot drink could prove tricky, although if desperate I suppose I could manually light a ring on the gas cooker and heat a pan of water.
~ Entertainment is a bit scarce; no TV, radio, CD or DVD players.
~ Fortunately, my PC is a laptop and therefore has the option of battery power so at least I can sit here and tell you all about it.

Except of course that the laptop has battery backup but the router and modem obviously don't so I guess I can't actually tell you about it until a bit later...

No comments: