Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Silent running...

I was flying out of leaving Scunthorpe rather hastily this evening after another fun packed day, facing the prospect of another drive home in gloomy weather when suddenly Chris Evans stopped talking mid-sentence.

There seems to be quite a few people about who don't like Chris Evans but I've never been able to fathom out exactly why. I've always enjoyed his humorous take on presenting from early days on TV-Mayhem, via the best years (in my opinion) of Big Breakfast through to his current slot on the Radio 2 Drive Time show. Perhaps it's the typically English thing of disliking anyone who's worked hard and done well for themselves.

Still, like him or not, there was no disputing that my radio had just gone silent and the display had gone off too which would indicate that Mr Evans probably wasn't exhibiting any new-found broadcasting shyness. By all accounts, a lead had probably worked loose at the rear of the unit which wasn't a major problem except I didn't have the "wire thingies" in the car to remove the radio and check it so it looked like a quiet journey ahead.

It was even too dark & miserable outside for a decent game of church-spotting - I got a personal worst of about three if you must know. So that was it, only a couple of mp3 tracks on the phone which I was reluctant to operate whilst driving and otherwise, no other sound to accompany my journey than the scraping of wiper blades on the windscreens and the occasional whoosh of something travelling in the opposite direction.

I'm seldom happier than when I'm driving away from Scunthorpe whatever the conditions and my journey tonight didn't actually take any longer than usual. It just felt like bloody hours...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh what I would pay to have a dose of "dark & miserable" instead of hot and miserable in St Louis! Although relief is in sight - we have a Canadian "cold" front moving through tomorrow which should knock us down to the "cool" lower 90F's- relief at last....

Seany said...

What a life eh?!

Anonymous said...

hello san no e its me you silly prson at last i hav accss to a computr doing well aint i havnt usd a kyboard for a long tim dos it show lov you lots stv

Seany said...

Welcome to the blog Steve - I'm impressed that you've found your way here!