Monday, July 18, 2005

The truth is out there...

After 9 months of blogging you'd think the novelty would wear off but no, I'm still fascinated by my site stats.

Initially, I was quite happy with my little hit counter from Bravenet and it's still the one I refer to for landmark counts. [Note to self: must find a new firework gif - hit 3000 is approaching] Way back at the beginning of the year, I set up the Extreme Tracking and ever since, I just can't stop checking out the results to see whats going on.

In terms of hits, I'm still at the dizzy heights of an average 10 visits per day, which I still think is pretty good going bearing in mind the drivel that is on here most of the time. Most visitors apparently drop in between 20:00 and 22:00 on a Monday evening, in fact, right about now, so "Hello - thanks for dropping in".

As for the search results that lead people here, I continue to be amazed and wonder in some cases whether apologies are due. I would expect a few "Seany" results, but "Magic Roundabout", "Samantha Janus", "Aborigine lyrics", each only mentioned once (until today) but regular favourites for visitors. I don't want to go through the whole Paula Radcliffe bodily function routine again, but it was disturbing how many visits the site got as a result of one rant. On the subject of disturbing, a fortnight ago someone arrived here after searching for "buy house next to school playground". I truly hope they were researching school catchment areas, but regardless, the post they were guided to was this one.

Finally is the locations of visitors. I'm currently running at about 38 countries, which is probably more than I could name and eight continents, which is 3 more than we had when I went to school. I know I've mentioned these before but I'm really curious to find out where the 16 visitors from "unknown" countries and continents are. Unless of course they happened on a Saturday night in which case it might well have been visits I made myself. Many's the time one of my drinking buddies will remind me "You looked like you'd had a good time, in fact, I'm not too sure you even knew where you were..."

No comments: