Tuesday, April 24, 2007

By George...



Despite a somewhat dubious start to the day with my having to go to work on what was meant to be a holiday, I'm pleased to report that I finally escaped just after lunch.

I'm equally pleased to report that Dave did us all really proud with the St George's Day Celebrations in the Tap. I suppose you could describe it as a Batemans Fest with a variety of their ales on sale (and a few free tasters) accompanied by a fine selection of roast meats, pork pies and ale infused sausages, chutney and mustard.

At 10:45 (ish) we raised our glasses with thousands of others in the national toast to our patron saint and although I didn't stop late, they kept the bar open for an extra half hour.

I'm still disappointed that it remains such a low-key celebration throughout most of the country and I keep hearing reports that people are being encouraged to keep it that way in the name of political correctness. For some reason, we don't seem to have similar concerns around St. Patricks Day, although personally, I'm more than happy to celebrate both...

No comments: