Friday, April 06, 2007

The eyes have it...

As it was a pseudo Friday night last night, I took the opportunity to go out on what would otherwise have been a schoolnight and took part in the quiz for the first time in ages. Between Steve, Mum and I we managed to score 38 out of 50 which I didn't think was at all bad. Unfortunately, the competition was so important for most of the entrants that they felt unable to participate in teams of less than seven or more. That said, special mention to Mr and Mrs Delcatto who scored 41 between just two of them.

Even with the prospect of a few minutes lie in this morning, I chose to go easy on the ales and left the Tap feeling quite sober, if considerably more relaxed then when I'd arrived. So, you can probably understand my amazement when I woke up this morning to find my glasses on the bedside table with one of the arms snapped clean off.

No great deal, it was just a case of calling into Vision Express, waving my insurance card about and getting a free replacement pair within an hour or so. However, for the second time, I was told "I'm afraid we can't replace those as that model frame has been discontinued". After a trying a few alternatives, I finally relented and agreed to upgrade the frames to a more indestructable version for another 31 quid.

The second punchline? "I'm sorry, we won't be able to get them done today." What happened to replacement specs within an hour? Despite my pleas that I needed them for driving and I had a very busy weekend ahead of me, the best they could commit to was to mark it as high priority and to ring me as soon as they were ready. No option really unless I wanted to spend over 200 pounds on replacements from elsewhere.

The real reason I wanted them fixed today? I'm out on a date tonight for the first time in several gazillion years and I really didn't want to have to choose between wearing prescription sunglasses all night or looking like a Jack Duckworth wannabee...



Update16:55: Call from Vision Express "Hi, just thought you'd like to know your new glasses are ready for collection". I think that deserves a link seeing as they are good people after all...

4 comments:

delcatto said...

No making a spectacle of yourself tonight...


I'll fetch me coat then...

Seany said...

I could always hop around with one arm behind my back and one eye closed in an attempt to make a complete monocle of myself

Wow, the cloakrooms busy tonight...

The Quacks of Life said...

good luck!!

Cherrypie said...

You could always treat yourself to an emergency box of disposable contact lenses for such occasions.

How did the date go? I'm assuming well given your continued absence. It's been 11 days. Are we to expect an announcement very soon?