Friday, December 24, 2004

The Waiting Is Over...

I finally gave up on Amazon delivering my last present on Wednesday and set out to the shops. Fortunately I seemed to time it just right between the daytime hoards heading home and the night time crowds on their way out and found an appropriate replacement present with little problem.

I headed straight home (after the obligatory quick pint) and leapt up to the PC in anticipation of cancelling my order only to be met by an e-mail from my e-shopping heroes to advise me that my parcel had been despatched. OK, no need to get bitter just yet, there was still no guarantee that it would be delivered in time for Christmas, I had made the right decision.

Oh joy of joys, guess what arrived yesterday morning? This leaves me now in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I return it out of spite? After all, it is a better gift than the replacement I had found. If I keep it, then Amazon have won and despite their service, they have still made the sale. I have worked in a Customer Service environment for many years and every company's biggest threat is the silent complainer who votes with their feet (or these days, keyboards).
The real annoyance is that I have been fretting and complaining for the past couple of weeks and in fact, they did actually come up with the goods in time for Christmas - which puts me in the wrong!

I think I'll start next years Christmas shopping in the January sales to spread out the stress. In which case I'll probably spend the whole of 2005 worrying whether they are going to buy the same things as I have got them for Christmas...

No comments: