Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Things are moving...

Well I'm not quite moving house yet, but we've made progress and I guess one of my house-buying updates is overdue . After a mere 68 days, I have finally received a rainforest's worth of papers for review and signing, but I'm beginning to wish I'd started working towards a legal qualification while I was waiting.

One thing that really impressed me when shopping for a mortgage this time around was the way that all of the information had been standardised. No matter where I went for a quote, they were all laid out and referenced in exactly the same manner which made the whole exercise really consumer friendly. It's a pity that we can't achieve something similar for legal documents. These are so littered with hithertos, aforementioneds, thereinafters, and so on that they just become impossible to read. After a couple of hours hard study and internet cross-reference, I'm down to half a dozen things to query with them before I put pen to paper.

On the subject of signatures, two of the forms require that my signature is countersigned by an independent (non-family) witness. The names of two good pals immediately sprang to mind, both of which will be happy to help when the time arrives. The dilemma I have now is which would be the most appropriate? The licensee, or the psychiatric nurse...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once took a typing test while applying for a job at a law firm...and, with all those hithertos, aforementioneds, and thereinafters...well, let's just say..it wasn't pretty. Strangely enough, I was still offered the job. Can't imagine how bad the other applicants must have been - perhaps they ran from the typewriter mumbling "hitherto, hitherto, hitherto" and had to be sedated...?

Anonymous said...

Problem solved:
' Nurse...100mls of Hobgoblin with the large needle please'.
Dec.