Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Round and round...

What is so confusing about mini-roundabouts?

I was a bit of a late starter to driving and can only claim 18 years or so behind the wheel, but I have covered tens, possibly hundreds of thousands of miles since and remember mini-roundabouts being around (no pun intended) when I passed my driving test.

So why is it people pull up at them, stop, sit there and gaze around wondering who's to go first? There are two answers as to who goes first:
1) The Highway Code says "Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts" in other words, give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise.
2) Usually me. I've read and understood this rule so instead of just sitting there, I look to the right on my approach and if nothing is coming, keep going, navigating the mini-roundabout and admiring all of the perplexed expressions on my way around.

Incidentally, many of my colleagues refer to roundabouts as circles. I'm not entirely sure why (other than the obvious fact that they are often circular). Perhaps if they called them O's they could conserve a further syllable each time.

Anyway, please dont read this as a complaint - I'm more than happy to continue navigating them with no-one else in my way.

If anyone is looking for somewhere to practice, I understand this little beauty in Swindon is fun although I've yet to use it myself. My personal favourite is far from "mini" but can be found at South Mimms just north of London where the A1(M) intersects the M25 and always seems to be multiple lanes of total "free-for-all". For best effect, try and hit it for teatime Christmas Eve...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

South Mimms mmm...I used to negotiate that one at least twice a day for many years.There used to be a good pub near by called The Black Horse.
Hanger Lane gyratory remains my favourite , especially at rush hour.It's like a kamikaze training school but with blindfolds on.
Dec.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up on bits of road to avoid :)

Anonymous said...

Hey fancy accusing someone other than me that he was "Hey Nonny Mouse" heheheeeeeee ya made me giggle last night when ya told me that pmpo !!

Anyways, mini doughnuts - the answer is I always have the right of way cus I'm on a Kawasaki lol !!

Keep up the aforementioned splendifferous work dude ;)